Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Pork and mushrooms in gravy.....








I get to this point and somebody walks in the door and says..... something smells good already!! I love cooking for this guy. He is so easy to please.... lol .....

Brown some country style pork chops in a large skillet. I like to use my electric frying pan actually...it is big and I can control the simmering heat perfectly in it. I like the "big" part because, as many of you know, I always plan on leftovers .. I want them; I need them. For freezer lunches and for lazy days or for busy days, or for when I forget what time it is and am in the middle of a bear head or a doll arm or ... .. well, whatever happens I am prepared with great lunches/suppers in a pinch.










.... ... add onions... move things around to coat with the juices and brown bits.

This week because I seem to have been on a great roll food wise...my freezer container drawer is almost empty! Yaaay.... silly me, I love little things like that. Makes me happy to know I have a cushion and can still have a great dinner even if I don't feel like cooking.

now...where was I? ....oh, yes.......










Toss in chunks of celery ( I like to use some tops as well) and pour in about a cup or so of chicken broth. I add a few teaspoons or so of white wine, or vinegar, or lemon juice.
Use a large spoon to mix it all up well. Add some spices ... your choice, of course. I like Herbs De Provence and a bit of sweet basil and fresh black pepper. Use some salt if you like but check for flavour as the chicken broth can be salty if it is not home made. Look for " sodium reduced" if you are watching salt intake. Mix again ... and let simmer for half an hour or so. I leave the lid on to maintain all the flavour.

If you would like to add other veggies do so now... simmer a bit longer ... another half hour? You don't really have to stand over this but just come back every so often to add or stir just to check on whether you need to add some liquid and give it a taste. You could probably add all the veggies at the same time, but I prefer not to overcook mine, especially the mushrooms..so I am a bit picky as to when I add things. As usual.... your choice...as with all cooking.

How about those mushrooms? sure... add as many as you like. For me they are fairly good size and quartered. Mix it all up once again and simmer some more ..... I find that the longer I simmer this type of chop..the more tender and tasty it becomes. When it has simmered for a total of about 2 hours add some more chicken broth and a cup of water in which about 2 tablespoons of flour has been thoroughly mixed. Thicken and you have a lovely gravy with your chops. You could serve it with creamy mashed potatoes. Almost as good as Sunday Chicken Dinner.

3 comments:

Sandra Evertson said...

It's 10:00 o"clock in the morning here and now I'm hungry for Pork chops!
Sandra Evertson

Susan said...

Yum Vee!

I don't really eat much pork (not sure why). I bet I could use chicken breasts instead. Looks absolutely delicious! as do all of Sundays dishes.

S.

BumbleVee said...

Absolutely Susan... give it a try. I mix and match all the time when I find new recipes. This was just a toss together and it was pretty tasty...