Sunday, December 16, 2007

Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies














These intrigued me a few years ago and now have become a tradition at our house. They are simple if a little fiddly and look pretty darn special.




















Thank goodness I had and extra set of hands to help with them ... it is killer on the shoulder blades to sit and put the little bit of chocolate dough around 51 cherries!










... and .... he does such a great job too!










Even the smallest foil cups still seem a bit large to me ... I suppose I could put a bit more dough around each one... making them fill it. Or... squeeze it onto the dough a bit before baking.













but.... they still look pretty special.










Wonder if it might help to leave a few out for Santa?










Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies

2 10 oz. jars maraschino cherries with stems
2 tbsp. cherry brandy or maraschino cherry juice
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Chocolate Cherry Frosting

Drain cherries, reserving juice. Lightly toss cherries with brandy if using...and drain. Let stand for 20 minutes.
Beat butter or margarine in a large mixing bowl with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder; beat til combined. Beat in egg and 1 teaspoon of the reserved liquid. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
Shape a scant 1 teaspoon of dough around each cherry. Place each ball in a 1 inch foil or paper bake cup. Place cups 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
Bake in 350F oven for 10 minutes or til tops look dry. Transfer cookies to wire racks. Frost warm cookies with about 1/2 tsp frosting. (I waited til they were very cool... not enough energy... they worked very well cooled.) Makes 48 (I ended up with 51)

Chocolate Cherry Frosting


Stir together 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces and 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk in a small heavy saucepan. (I had a bowl in water in the pan..worked perfectly) Cook over low heat just til chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally. Sir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of reserved cherry liquid to make of spreading consistency. Makes plenty.

11 comments:

Windlost said...

These look delicious! How inspiring you are! I added you to my links (this blog as I love to come look at recipes!). Hope that is ok...

this is my patch said...

Thanks for this recipe, how clever to use stems sticking out the cakes, I would never of thought that one up. I must try to get round to making these, I keep telling myself I am going to allocate more time to home baking? x

Windlost said...

Ok, I came back twice to look at these. I really should make some!
They look awesome!!!!!
xo Terri

BumbleVee said...

Yep, that's it now then Terri...if you come twice to see them..you have to make them. It's the law! ..lol

Hiya Louise....nice to see you again. Sigh.. there is just so much fun stuff to do... how we make time for it is still a mystery isn't it?

FaeryCrafty said...

Wooohoooo!!!! These are gonna get made and get in my tummy!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Yum, yum! I love chocolate covered cherries and want some of these!!

Enjoyed your blog!

Happy New Year!

Katherine

Megan said...

These are darling! They just yell valentines day to me. For sure these will be made. They are bookmarked. Plus this is my second time back to look at them too. I know, I have to make them, its the law.

BumbleVee said...

Hey Megan...good idea! I can dredge them up again for Valentine's Day! Perfect.
Good to see you know the drill...second visit and all... lol......

Clothmatters said...

I just found your blog and will definitely make the Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies next month for a Valentine's Day treat. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Connie

Vallier Bears said...

Well V, Val is just around the corner, I will have to make them and send you a pic, Of course, they wont look as good as yours, I just can't bake to save my life.

I will be sending you a long over due email in a few, Keep peeled ;)

Richy~

Rhondi said...

I was just browsing through your blog~Oh my goodness...I'm making these today without the stems so my kiddos will be surprised when they bite into them. We love chocolate covered cherries!