Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cranberry Coffeecake











I thought I'd post this recipe now, in case some of you are like me.... and prefer to test bake a "thing"... to make sure it works. I won't be making mine 'til closer to the day I need it because I've made it several times, it does work, and... we love it.

It is a lovely, simple cake; very flavourful. Perfect for any little get together ..... or for a fancy dinner. I think it's great that cranberry has become a year round favourite. Serve it plain or just dusted with icing sugar when it has completely cooled ..... or dress it up for the holidays with a bit of greenery, some berries and/or nuts ..perhaps even a few small ornaments or a ribbon...

If anybody needs the metric measurements just let me know.....

Cranberry Coffeecake

1/2 cup shortening or butter ( I prefer butter)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt (I don't use because I used salted butter... your choice)
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce 398 mL .. or 14 oz.

Glaze

1 cup sifted icing sugar
3 - 5 tsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup finely shopped nuts


Cake:: Grease a 4 L (10 inch) Bundt pan. Dust with flour.
Cream butter ( or shortening) sugar and eggs til light and fluffy (in mixer or by hand). Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with yogurt and vanilla, beating til smooth.
Spread half of batter in prepared pan. Spread half of cranberry sauce evenly over batter. Top with remaining batter and cranberry sauce.
Bake at 180 C. or 350 F. for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool 20 minues then invert onto cooling rack. Cool completely.

Glaze:: Combine icing sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake. Sprinkle on nuts.

Cake can also be baked in angel food (tube) cake pan if Bundt pan is unavailable.
Freezing:: Excellent... unglazed and double wrapped.

1 comment:

Megan said...

That picture of a sice of coffeecake looks like it should be in a magazine. Beautiful!