Tuesday, September 22, 2009

almost feels like Christmas....










.....except for the unseasonably warm and beautiful blue sky days we are having in the foothills of the Rockies. Well, they say that is where we are...but, they are a bit further away than our doorstep ... at least an hour and a half..or so......
but, be that as it may, what great days!! I burned a lovely scented candle earlier in the day to get rid of the popcorn smell.... I tried out a new popcorn maker...and a few kernels got caught under the little sweeps... back to the shopit goes. Sigh ... some year I will find the perfect popcorn maker.














'tis the season for those great little Italian plums again too... remember those from last year? You don't ... shame on you for not seeing my plum loaf then...hahaha..... or not... never mind.... it's not that important. But...it is that tasty and if you haven't tried some of these little guys... maybe now is the time. They are the backyard variety.. found in any of the older neighbourhoods.











You only need 8 or so to make a cup... which will make one loaf.












Do you ever crack an egg into the mixture only to realize you also got a bit of shell in there as well? ...then you have to spend time digging it out? I began breaking my eggs into a separate bowl years ago.... saves time and frustration.










oooooh....a lovely soft mixture.... dollops of yogurt in there....











I love the tart hits of some of the plums.... maybe they are not quite as ripe as the rest.

15 comments:

Veronica said...

Oooh, this looks nice!

Hello from one Veronica to another. :-)

Veronica said...

Wait, did I only imagine that you're a Veronica too?

Now I feel like an idiot. I'll just back away slowly and go back to the recipes.

BumbleVee said...

no, you didn't imagine it...I am a Veronica too....

Gretel said...

I will have to try this next time we pick up some plums, it looks lovely - I will have to tweak the measurements to ounces though, as I have never been able to get my head round your cup sizes, even though I have a proper set!

DILLY said...

YUM! YUM! Dilly think be luvly!
Like flowers too.
Com see funny cartoon on Dilly blog!

¬"

Megan said...

Last year my neighbor gave me a bunch of plums but this year he gave me none. :( This would have been a great recipe to use them up. Damn neighbor, where are my plums??? Well, if I find a beautigul crop, I'll remember this beautiful loaf! Hipe your having a great weekend. :)

Bunny said...

Oh does that ever look pretty with those little purple plum pieces in it!

mycuriousteaparty said...

I made this plum loaf at the weekend with soaked dried apricots..... all I had in the cupboard.. FANTASTIC thank you for sharing the recipe.

Yesterday it was parsnip bread which was the best yet, I had some dough left over so made a pizza with the left overs which was soooo good.

Julie

GlorV1 said...

That looks delicious. We have a plum tree and I do make jam with them. I always break my eggs in another bowl. I learned that from Barefoot Contessa. I can't stop looking at your creation. I've got try this recipe out. Thanks for sharing. By the way, thx for stopping by my blog.

Karine said...

Original load! And it looks delicious too. Thanks for sharing!

Terra said...

I am a follower of your Bearister Bookcase blog, featuring those adorable little guys.
And today I find you have TWO fun blogs, including this one.
We are having homemade cornbread today, made by my husband, and not on Bread Day. Still, the kitchen smells delectable and I look forward to the cornbread.

Questnet said...

Wow..Just bump into ur blog..:)

Anonymous said...

Re egg shell in the batter: i think if you whack the egg only once it wont be able to leave behind any shell....
Speaking of eggs, the thing that grosses me out is that white bit of snot like thing thats in every egg; i dont mind a little shell but i cant deal with that thingy and have to remove it.

Michael said...

I love candles like that and just smelled one that bought xms rushing into my mind's eye in no time at all. ..That bread, also, btw, looks wonderful. Mmm...

Lorraina said...

Just have to second what anonymous said about the piece of snot in every egg....makes me crazy when i see it in commercials, cooking shows etc. and nobody else seems to notice it....ewwww, gross!

I crack my eggs once on the counter top, not on the edge of things and get nice half shells. Then pour the yolk from shell to shell until the snotty thing is hanging over the edge where i use the other shell half and my thumb to break it off and drop in the disposal.
I like to put my eggs in another bowl or cup first also and find that the egg slides out easily if the cup/bowl is rinsed with cold water first. This makes clean up faster also.

Love your blog and the things you make. I'll be back!