Saturday, November 13, 2010

Easy Stuffed Peppers

I had some leftover rice...a mix of white, brown and wild... two leftover chicken thighs...and...

I spied a red pepper in the crisper.












Okay then...stuffed peppers it is.

Gently saute some finely diced carrots.  I like to do them in a bit of butter to give them flavour.   As soon as they begin to soften... add onions, celery and anything else you like to add to your mix to make it interesting.  This day I had some broccoli and I like to chop the stems into any dish to give us more veggies... so, in went a bit of broccoli stem.  I don't leave the vegetables too long as I like mine a bit crunchy.  Adjust your own cooking time as you like.  All of this should go very quickly.

Just before I added the rice, I minced a clove of garlic and stirred that in as well.  I don't like to leave my garlic to cook too long either .. or worse, to burn ... it gets bitter tasting then.....

Add the leftover rice immediately ... stir it all together well and drizzle on some Sesame Oil...it imparts a wonderful flavour and I love the aroma...you don't need much... just enough to make it tantalizing.  I added some broccoli tops (sometimes I add peas or beans) and tossed in the chopped chicken, a few chunks of pepper, a crushed chili pepper and a spoonful of tinned tomatoes.  Stir and leave just a bit longer to warm it all through.












Cut pepper in half... rub oil along the cut edges with a finger to prevent drying out and burning.  Mound the rice mixture into the pepper halves... smear a bit of oil on bottom of baking pan and place pepper halves into it.

Bake at about 350 for 20 to 25 minutes....












If you like... sprinkle on some grated cheddar and mozzarella at the end of 20 minutes or so.. bake a bit longer...then turn oven to broil and bronze the top.  Beautiful.
Mm..... whoops... no photo of the completed dish!  Acckkk!!  It looked so wonderful too...but, we got carried away admiring and eating .. and can't believe I didn't think to capture it for posterity!  Maybe next time.   This weekend.... cabbage rolls.......

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Oh I bet these tasted yummy! Wonderful!
xo Catherine