Friday, June 5, 2009

the "slipper" tastes pretty good...











Ciabatta ... apparently the name means "carpet slipper"... is a no-knead bread anyway, so I'm not sure what the big deal is in the video ...but, it seemed so simple compared to other recipes in my bread books... (which call for a few more steps and a few more ingredients) ... so, I gave it a try. It was simple...pretty tasty and I'll definitely make it again. I was surprised that the crust did not get as dark as the Tuscan Peasant Bread... but, perhaps the oil and cornmeal on the baking sheet is the way to go versus the parchment .... ?? or, perhaps the water in the oven for extra moisture is the answer.. or, perhaps the honey in the mix ... ?? who knows, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the bottom more golden than dark brown. Not that I mind a well cooked crust. I also love a chewy crust...which this has. Yum... I only had one small piece today...but, can't wait for toast in the morning.... I love artisan type breads toasted!











The crumb of mine is not as airy as the master's... but, it still has a few good sized holes. My bread book says to handle it very gently to preserve the air bubbles for those lovely large voids. .. not that extra large holes would enhance the flavour. Perhaps I'll wear kid gloves next time.... just so I can have a holey loaf for my photo shoot.

Oh, yes....the guy doesn't mention it in his video..but..on his blog...he says he always bakes bread with a pan of water on the bottom of his oven. It would probably be a good idea to revise your video mister...

5 comments:

Beedeebabee said...

Your recipes and photo's look so delicious! I wish I could just jump into the computer and eat them all! Smiles, Paulette :o)

Mrs Mac said...

Carpet slipper! I never knew that! That's brilliant!

Bluebell said...

I feel so hungry when I look on your site everything looks so delicious. I love the explanation of Ciabatta ( Carpet Slippers) I will drop this out in conversation and everyone will think I am sooo clever.

Anonymous said...

I like this blog too, everything looks so yummy!! I love baking. you are so talented and the bears are adorable!! I'm going to add this one to the blogs I follow as well. If you would like to, you can add yourself to my followers on my blog. My door is always open for new friends. have a nice day! hugs, Jennifer

Sue said...

Hi ....Have you seen pictures of my no-knead bread on my blog?? I bought a LeCrueset in a dark color...2 3/4qt. size and use it strickly for the bread...I do the Rosemary/Lemon version of the 18 hour rise and use Artisian seeds on top...There is nothing better and nothing easier...I always put in a piece of parchment paper just in the bottom "after" the 30 minute heating period at 450 degrees...I also bake it 30 minutes covered and 10 more minutes with the lid off just covered in tin foil so not to over brown the top...The inside of the Dutch oven has stayed very nice...the outside has some greasy marks and spots that won't come off but that's because I don't clean my oven often enough....But it comes so good I could sell the stuff....Sue in Atlanta I can send you some pictures of the various types I make if you e-mail me
sueadivari@bellsouth.net