Friday, May 12, 2023

Basic White Bread





 Well, that's what they call it in the Kitchen Aid mixer booklet.  Usually in the bread world, 'basic' does not contain butter, sugar and milk...  this one does......

It is the recipe I began with many years ago when I finally decided to conquer my 'yeast phobia' and go for it.  Just bake bread. 

It was amazing to me how well it turned out.  We really enjoyed it; especially for toast.  Not as much for sandwiches as it is a bit crumby compared to the store bought slices that always stay together ( one wonders what they add to it to make that happen) ... but, nevertheless... I continued to make and enjoy it. 

Until sometime in the past year...when it began to turn out ...erm...well.......just not quite the same.....

It began to come out of the oven looking perfect...but, within 20 minutes.. began to get cracking and crazing on the surface .. you could hear it ... and, much as I have read that it is what some bakers are striving for... that baker is not me.   I want a crisp, lovely brown crust..that stays firm and smooth and an interior crumb that is soft and tight with no large gaps or air holes.  

A fellow baker (Philip, thanks again).  ... .. suggested baking it at a lower temperature ..and, that worked!!  Now it is staying uncrazed or crackled on the surface... but, of course not getting quite as brown on top and, now....it is sort of settling into a dimpled, softish crust after half and hour.  Arrrghhh!@# .. 

It is still great tasting bread... we love it for toast.. by itself with coffee.....or for under a poached egg... or with soups... but, what has changed or what am I doing different or ..is it the oven?  I do have a new oven but, have had it for a couple years now ..and, I'm sure it didn't all begin with that.  Although, maybe..... 

Anyway..now another fellow baker has offered to do some 'forensic testing' on my bread and the recipe.  So, without further ado....here is the recipe Kevin.... maybe you can come up with my solution ..or ...I could always just use a different recipe and get some bread with a nicer crust.... yes... why don't I just do that?  Not... I'm just stubborn enough to keep at it until I figure it out at the very least... then..  make a different recipe!

Basic White Bread

        1/2 cup    (125 ml)  milk
3 TBSP.   (45 ml)    granulated sugar
2 tsp.       (10 ml)   salt
3  TBSP.   (45 ml)   butter
2  Packets  active dry yeast (I use 1 TBSP yeast)
1  1/2 cups (375 ml) warm water (105 to 115F).  (40C - 45C) 
5 - 6 cups all purpose flour.  (1.25L to 1.5L)

    Combine milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan.  Heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves.  Cool to lukewarm.

    Dissolve yeast in warm water in bowl.  Add lukewarm milk mixture and 4 1/2  cups flour.  Mix on speed 2 for 1 minute.  Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl.  Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes longer, or until dough is smooth and elastic,  Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch.

    Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.  Cover, let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

    Punch dough down and divide in half.  Shape each half into a loaf and place in a greased 8.5 x 4 x 2.5 x 2.5 inch pan (21x12x 6 cm) loaf pan.  Cover, and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

    Bake at 400 F (200 C) for 30 minutes.  Remove from pans immediately and cool unwire racks. 


    NOTES:::::  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    I decided early on that 2 packets of yeast (which each contain 2 1/4 tsps. granules) ..was too much...so I only use 1 TBSP or a bit less.   

    I have tried less butter...  less sugar ...  (usually only toss in a dollop (which is probably close to 1 TBSP of butter.. only usually use 1 TBSP or less of sugar) ....  I've tried using only water and no milk... 

    Usually I use one cup or 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour along with the 3  or 3 1/2 cups of white flour for my initial addition of flour...and, add 1/2 cup and a second 1/2 cup of flour until I get the consistency I feel is good.  It usually ends up a bit less than 6 cups total....

    Sometimes I knead in the machine...sometimes I just turn it out and knead by hand.... 

    Nowadays I bake it at 350F instead of the 400F they call for. ...but, next bake I think I may try 375.. to get it a bit browner..or just leave it in longer...or...  well, who knows... using milk or a bit more sugar might get a browner crust..... I'm still shocked at how pale it stays just because I began to use a lower heat for baking.

    The oven shelf is on the second from the bottom position... there are several positions I can use, but the lowest is better for breads it seems..or the top browns more quickly that the bottom.

    I have two baking settings... one called Surround (which uses a fan and upper and lower heating elements)  ..the other just Bake, which is the one I have begun to use more regularly.   I don't use steam pans or spritz any moisture on the bread or in the oven. 


    Well, there you have it Kevin... all the pertinent details.  Maybe you can figure out something that will get me the lovely crisp crust and soft interior that I used to bake with ease all those years ago and which now.... seems to evade me......

    

Okay, it's end of day and I'm totally bummed with the results. ...  just going to use a different recipe from now on.

The dough seemed good... nice and supple and smooth...

Click on any pic and it will show larger....


It definitely got a bit over risen in the pans... I'm always hesitant to only leave it for less than an hour ..but, in this case... I should have turned on the stove at about 40 mins and it would have been a better thing.  It was cool in the kitchen at only 20C..but, the dough was warmer I guess.  I did check it and it was above Charlie's favourite of 25C ...it was closer to 27C.. but, I thought it would be okay as the room was cooler. 

I don't know what causes it to pull like this..only on one side always... it can't be under proofed... 

...because then... I got this.  A large bubble with a very thin membrane ...which I couldn't resist pushing in ... 


Th underside looks good... nice and golden....


A portion of the surface looks pretty darn good....


..but...once cooled ... and sliced ...look at this.  Another big bubble on the very top.


And, if you can see it ...the wrinkling or dimpling and softness I was talking about.  It may be just because it is more of an enriched dough with the butter, milk and sugar... but, who knows... 


    My husband had a slice with some butter and honey and declared it delicious.  I guess that's all that counts.... 






3 comments:

Kevin said...

Hi that should work nicely except...
Instant yeast, for most recipes should be used at about 0.0063 x the weight of flour in grams.
In English that is 1 level teaspoon per 500g of flour, or 1.5 tsp for this 750g of flour.

6% sugar is on the high side, it will not harm the dough, but I would halve that.

Everything else is well withing the tolleraces to make a nice loaf.

I am always mindful that when I was still learning I struggled so hard to get a really good loaf. Then one day I used a different flour and the loaf was superb. An all purpose flour should be perfect for this recipe, but I have read there is a lot of variation between the brands when it comes to protein content. I would look for one at around 12% minimum.

I think the crinkles are most likely the result of the dough over-inflating with the large amount of yeast.

I do hope this is helpful.

Bake on!
:)

BumbleVee said...

hey Kevin... thanks for the comment and all your input.
Canadian flour is almost always 13% protein .. all 3 brands that I can get anyway.
I did lower the yeast ... Not as low as 1.5 tsps... but, will give it a go at that. I did try the "one packet" measurement of 2 1/4 tsps... it definitely didn't rise up as well, but still fine. Not as many wrinkles now...but, still sort of ... I supposed it is just because it is an enriched dough with the butter, milk and sugar...bound to be a bit different than the regular 4 ingredient breads.
We do like the taste of it and it toasts wonderfully ...so will likely continue to bake it ....

Cindy H said...

Just a comment about baking temp....I like to bake all my white loaves at 400deg F for 10 minutes. Then I turn down to 350 and continue the bake.