Thursday, January 24, 2008

..chocolate birthday cake day.... but.....











Nobody was home to lick the beater, so I had to take one for the team. Then..there was also the bowl....and the spatula...and the..... oh, brother ... .... who needs cake?

Well, this was interesting... a learning experience with a layer cake. Same pans, same oven, same amount of time, .... but.... one cake I turned out after only 10 mins. onto the rack...but had to wait a bit longer to turn out the other as I only have one smallish rack (rest assured I am buying another ... today!!) Look at the bottom of each. Arrgghhhh! one felt nice and almost dry to the touch...the second..that had languished in the pan far too long... ick..felt moist, sticky and obviously stuck to the non stick, buttered and also floured pan. Sheeesh..... The only saving grace was that it WAS a layer cake. I could hide the bad side in a variety of ways...and the taste would, of course, be the same so it didn't matter. But... lesson learned. Leave 10 mins... remove from pan, place on rack to cool fully. Period.










Please try to ignore the holly leaves on the platter.., (of course, now that I mentioned it, even if you hadn't noticed it ..you will find difficulty getting past that!) This year...along with a new cake rack..I vow to get a pretty cake plate or stand.... oh, yes... a covered one at that. And...also... new gift to me... and to those of you who love cake...a new cooling rack.









definitely more moist and sticky than I thought it would be....










Mocha chocolate filling ....










Some day I might like to take a cake decorating course...or at least try my hand at it somehow. but, for now...I just do it how Mom did...with a knife; make it look "pretty". It reminds me of smallish waves on water... and looks about like the picture does in my ancient Canadian Cookbook. Looks good, tastes great!

5 comments:

Tablebread said...

Yeah, leaving it in the pan like that steams the bottom but if ANYONE!!! complains well, just go ahead a push their slice over to me :) that cake looks fabulous!

BumbleVee said...

hey Lewis...missed you, darn it. I was busy editing ...takes me forever to line up the text and pics just where I want them... there must be an easier way than I do them... some day I will figure it out, or find a local friend who actually knows something about blogging and will help.

And, not one soul complained..except when it was gone. Isn't there more ? ..more please? ?

Tablebread said...

Here you go love:

http://windowslivewriter.spaces.live.com/

Will change your blogging life forever. I used it now for everything. the only thing I still do through blogger is the pictures because with LiveWriter it wants to download them to the viewers computer. But being able to write offline is a blessing.

:) Always glad to help.

Anonymous said...

The cake looks delicious...so did the batter.;)
Alexandra

Mississippi Songbird said...

Oh This looks delicious!
Thanks for sharing.I love your blog..