Monday, January 21, 2008

I love a bargain meal...

Especially one that tastes amazing and is easy as pie. (well, easier than pie actually)

I am using my new little crock pot every so often and love it! Darly is on the prowl...looking for crock pot recipes. I am afraid I don't really have a list of particular ingredients Darly, .. or measurements or the like. It seems a bit like soup to me and ... well... with soup, anything goes.

I began with sirloin boneless pork chops...

look at the size of the panful for $6.45 !! who can believe that? I think somebody made a mistake on the sticker that day. This will easily make six meals ++ "plan overs".










Even if I am using my crock, I like to sear, brown or otherwise colour meat a bit before tossing it into liquid in the pot. Same thing when I use the microwave for some things. I hate anemic looking food. Even a bit of paprika can help there. I also then add a bit of water, wine, tomatoes or broth to the browning pan..boil it a bit and pour it over the meat in the crock pot. More flavour yet. You could probably use a bit of soup I guess and add some water. Personally I don't like canned soup.... but that is just me. Feel free to do whatever you like...or use whatever you have on hand. Any recipe is just a guideline...

You don't need much liquid really... hardly any of it evaporates if you leave the lid on. I like to add enough to get some other use out of it though, especially if I have 6 chunks of meat as we had today. Add some herbs.. you could try sweet basil, Tuscan spices or perhaps Herbes de Provence .. maybe a bay leaf, garlic, pepper, a sprig of Rosemary?.. whatever you like... then, some veggies as well and you will have a complete meal ready and waiting for when you arrive home from work......the house will smell amazing.... If you are at home during the cooking process... give it a little stir every so often.











By the time this was in the crock pot for about 6 hours we didn't even need a knife to cut it. There were onions, carrots, celery and green beans in the pot...so I just made some couscous and we spooned some of the"jus" over it... oh, yummy. That little crock pot has already more than paid for itself. Good suggestion from my brother the mountain man. Now..I have to hurry up and try his recipe for buns.... he is testing my Barm Brack....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's early morning and it looks scrumptious. :)
Alexandra

dmarks said...

The title graphic is sooo cutesy. But the following pic of a pan full of raw meat cut the edge off the sugar-buzz, so to speak :)

BumbleVee said...

not to worry d..... a few more posts and the pan of meat will disappear into the nether regions of the blog pages....

you just never know what or who might show up just under the little guys and their tea party....

Little Blue Violet said...

hi Vee !
I just found your awesome food blog. I know...duh is for Darly!
Is there no end to your talents ??????