Friday, January 18, 2008

last of the 'nog

... and a pretty good "last" it was! It is called Christmas Bread...but really, it seems like a pound cake or loaf to me. Last week I found a whole shelf of eggnog on sale for only 99 cents for the two liter size. Over at Joe's blog... they were talking about eggnog cheesecake...and then off I went somewhere else....and they were talking about an eggnog loaf .... had to try at least one of 'em, didn't I ?!
hhmmmm.... where was that? ok....thinking...... it was eggnog, it was a cooking blog....it was .... darn it... where was that? HAH! I remember... it was Megan's blog. This is ridiculous, typing along trying to remember where I actually saw something, then having to open another window to try to find it, then trying to get back to where I am typing up my post.....sheeesh. Sometimes I make a boo boo and close out my blog entry...luckily it gets saved automatically most of the time.













It definitely has the great taste of 'nog if you like it.

I thought it a tiny bit drier than I would have liked it (easy to fix next time, more eggnog!!) ...but very tasty. If you make some holes with a skewer prior to drizzling on the glaze...it will even seep inside the loaf a bit....mmmmmm very yummy. Oh, I'm bad. I am pretty sure everybody is trying their darndest.. (just like moi )...to lose the few extra Christmas pounds we gained. so... .. highlight, copy, print, stick it in your holiday fare binder, and bake it next year!!





















Eggnog Christmas Bread with Buttered Rum Glaze
Makes: 1 loaf
2 eggs
1 cups sugar
1 cup eggnog
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
1 1/2 teaspoons rum extract
1 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

Buttered Rum Glaze

Make this after bread comes out of the oven:
1/4 c brown sugar
1/3 c unsalted butter
1 teaspoon rum extract
Melt butter and brown sugar together in a saucepan until smooth and sugar loses it’s graininess.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter a 9×5x3 bread pans.
Beat eggs, add sugar, eggnog, butter,
rum and vanilla until blended.
In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder and nutmeg. Add to the egg mixture and stir until just moistened. Don’t over stir.
Pour into greased pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out
clean
Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
Glaze with frosting while still warm.
Cool bread completely before slicing.

6 comments:

Lee said...

I think I would just drink the eggnog and take my chances on whatever cake was about. (Mind you, I have never had eggnog so it is going on blind faith.)

Megan said...

I'm so glad you like it. I'm thinking of making it for my Christmas baskets next year.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

This sounds very good, I love pound cake! Have you ever toasted it? Yum!

Katherine

BumbleVee said...

Have you just never bought it Lee or can't you get it there? We try to buy the "light", as the regular is kinda thick, but, .. we can always add milk to thin it a bit if it is all we find.
Never had toasted loaf Katherine. Must try a slice some day. Yum...tea and toasted loaf.. any type no doubt. I guess it would be similar to raisin bread in some cases, but even better. Like, say, Barm Brack.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Uh oh.... wish I wouldn't have stumbled upon this recipe.... now I'm going to have to make it!!

:)
ButterYum

Unknown said...

Looks like I'm going to have a go at this one. Thanks for sharing BV and thanks to Megan for the beginings of an egg nog affair. Maa