Friday, June 8, 2007

His and Hers Enchiladas












That's what I call them anyway .... because if you notice, there is cheese and plenty of it on the left side and not much at all on the one guy waaaaayy over to the right side. That is my side. Waaaaahhhhhhh.... oh, alright it is not a big deal. So far "he" doesn't have any problems with cholesterol or anything else for that matter... I, on the other hand, inherited some defective genes it seems. I eat no cholesterol at all.. none... and still my cholesterol level is up there. Like so many things in life....it just ain't fair! but, there you have it...and so... isn't that the great thing about doing your own cooking and baking? You can adjust amounts of anything and everything you use for ingredients... gotta love it. This is my "sort of" basic recipe...but use whatever you like in amounts you like... I just use what looks good for ratio in most of my cooking... and sometimes less or different ingredients if that is all I have on hand.

Chicken Enchiladas

most of a large tin of diced tomatoes
cup of Salsa
cup of yogurt
cup or cup and half of sliced cooked chicken
cup of cheese of choice
tin of refried beans ( with green chilis for a heat kick)
sauteed mushroom and onions (optional)
4 or 5 tablespoons of corn relish..(optional)
sprinkle of dried herbs as you like (basil, cilantro, Herbes de Provence, etc)
4 or 5 large tortillas

Combine tomatoes, Salsa and yogurt until blended and set aside. Combine chicken, cheese and relish if using. (I just leave all ingredients separate so that I can mix and match my tortillas.. some for me...some for him..etc... ) Heat tortillas in microwave in moist towel to make them easy to roll and fold.. or.. heat tablespoon of oil in pan and cook a bit til hot. Drain on paper towel if using oil.

Spread each with some of the refried bean paste but stay about an inch or so from the edges; add some chicken mixture, onions and mushrooms if using; a dollop of yogurt; then roll up tucking in sides if possible. It prevents the mixture from oozing out when it bakes.

Place in lightly oiled baking dish with a bit of the tomato mix on the bottom... then pour the remaining tomato mixture over the rolls. Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 20 to 30 mins or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle more cheese on top and bake a few mins longer til melted, th
en turn oven to broil for a few more mins. Enjoy!..


Look...Leonard is finished. And.. he has a friend..... actually that is Leonard IV with the ladybug... Leonard V feels left out in the bug department.. sort of looks like he is pointing ...saying... see? ..no bug!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! Thought I'd let you know that I have problems with high cholesterol, too, but recently discovered the South Beach diet which really brought my points down dramatically! And I can eat low fat cheese! It's more about carb control, kicking out sugar, and replacing bad fats with good:-)

Thanks for the yummy recipes!